January 8, 2009

Saving the World

I think we all have a desire to save the world in one way or another. Some people want to be doctors that discover the cure for diseases and save millions of lives. Others want to bring clean drinking water to the impovershed world, saving millions of lives. Me? I want to save a few lives in a big way. I want to really make a difference in the lives of the people I help (not that the aforementioned ways don't do that, because they definitely do!), which is why I really feel for poorer people in countries without the social aid of America and many western countries. I know there are people here who are really suffering, but they are far better off than those in say, Pakistan or other countries where the government aid is strained.

I had this idea that we could get together and help the girls in Pakistan who are denied the education that will bring them from being treated as less than human to being the new doctors, teachers and politicians in their country. My friends and I have a group on Facebook to help get organized. We have raised a little money already, but I want to do so much more. It is pretty hard to get something like this started. I mean, why would anyone want to give money for a cause that they don't really know a lot about? Well, what I can tell you is that everyone has a right to be educated, and that no one should ever be killed because they wanted to learn how to read and write.

To me, this isn't a political issue, or a religious issue. It is just about young girls who have the right to learn. I don't want to be a crazy American, pressing changes on a culture I don't understand, but I do want those girls to be able to walk down the street safely and sit in a classroom and learn about history, language and math. I want them to become doctors, scientists, authors and businesswomen. I want them to be the best they can be. I guess I want them to be able to save the world. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your heart for people is so awesome!!! One of my favorite things about you is how you are always thinking not just of those less fortunate than you, but of HOW to help those less fortunate than you.

:-)